Gary Neville slams Ruben Amorim over treatment of Man Utd star who 'didn't get a chance'

0
The postmortem into Ruben Amorim's nightmare reign at Manchester United is still ongoing, and Gary Neville has picked out the 'worst decision' of his time at Old Trafford

Gary Neville says that Ruben Amorim's reluctance to use Kobbie Mainoo was the former Manchester United manager's 'worst decision'. Mainoo, 20, didn't start a single Premier League game this season before Amorim was sacked on January 5.

Since then, the midfielder has been ever present under interim manager Michael Carrick and was a driving force behind United's run of four successive wins. Mainoo is also making a late bid to return to the England squad in time for this summer's World Cup.

When Amorim was in charge, the academy graduate thought that he'd have to change clubs in order to get the game time required for England boss Thomas Tuchel to have a look at him. His performances are why Neville believes that Amorim's decision not to give Mainoo a run in the team played a part in the Portuguese's downfall.

"Kobbie Mainoo didn't even get a chance under Ruben really," the United legend claimed on Stick to Football. "If you think about it now and look at Mainoo in this team, that looks like the worst decision Ruben Amorim made."

FOLLOW OUR MAN UTD FB PAGE!Latest United news and more on our dedicated Facebook page

READ MORE : Jurgen Klopp's response to Man Utd AND England approaches as agent makes statementREAD MORE : Man Utd tipped to complete Sandro Tonali transfer as 'outstanding' message issued

In the wake of Amorim's sacking, Neville accused the ex-United manager of 'killing' Mainoo. "I must admit, I never liked the handling of Mainoo," he stated.

"I think we talked about that a lot on this show. I never liked the handling of that. When he [Amorim] said at the start of the season that it was him or Bruno [Fernandes], I never agreed with that.

BACK THE MIRROR! Ensure our latest headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search

"It killed Kobbie Mainoo. It killed him publicly. And then he never put him in the team at all, apart from against Grimsby in the cup."

Mainoo will be hoping to continue proving Amorim wrong when the Red Devils travel to Everton next Monday. Another solid display would boost his chances of being included in Tuchel's squad for England's two friendly matches in March.

Tuchel recently confirmed that the 20-year-old was 'back in the picture' alongside United team-mates Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw. Speaking at the Nations League draw on Thursday, the Three Lions manager declared: "It is great that [Mainoo] is back on the pitch. He is such a huge talent.

"He has played already a tournament from start to finish for England, so he is back in the picture, so is Luke Shaw and so is Harry [Maguire]. There are some players suddenly back in the picture, they play a back four now and play with a different style which is a bit easier to translate to our structure at the moment. It's good competition."

Click here to read article

Related Articles